ABOUT MAAIKE WIEGMAN-LEAVEY
Maaike Wiegman-Leavey was born and raised in the Netherlands and after establishing a career in Ophthalmology she decided to take classes with Adri Wolters at the Volks Universiteit Van Beresteijn in Veendam. She and her binational family moved to the United States in 2014, continuing her career in Art and Ophthalmology.
Soon after relocating to the New York area she became a member of the Washingtonville Artists Collective, the Orange County Arts Council and she serves on the Board of Directors of the Wallkill River Center for the Arts.
"My art is eclectic, a true reflection of the many bends and turns my life has taken, I love learning about people's life stories, cultures, history, and how we can always find something in common no matter how geographically distant our backgrounds are. My art is an expression of the redefining of my own culture, my rural farming roots, my work in ophthalmic imaging and my love for music. I feel New York fits me well. It is eclectic like me, it is full of life, stories and history, the Arts are present in any culture. It is a reflection of humanity, it defines it and transforms it, continuously."
Maaike enjoys working and experimenting with a wide range of media including acrylics, watercolors, pastels and block printing and also like to mix these on occasion. Many of her works reflect a loose organic style. Her portfolio includes examples of landscapes, buildings, portraits, ophthalmic imaging, and still life.
- March 4 - May 1, 2022Wallkill River School of Art & GalleryMarch 4 - May 1, 2022Wallkill River School of Art & Gallery, 232 Ward St, Montgomery, NY 12549, USAAn eclectic and diverse body of work created by members of all levels at the Wallkill River School. Masks are currently optional for all visitors. WRS is open 12-5pm, Friday-Sunday. No appointment necessary to visit, always free.
- Tue, Jan 262 Alices Coffee Lounge - Newburgh
- Sun, Sep 20Vern Allen Park
- Sun, Aug 23Vern Allen Park
- Sun, Jul 19Vern Allen Park
- Sun, Jun 21Vern Allen Park
- Sun, May 24Vern Allen Park
- Sun, Mar 08Newburgh Free Library
- Sat, Feb 08Holland Tunnel GalleryFeb 08, 2020, 2:00 PM EST – Mar 21, 2020, 5:00 PM EDTHolland Tunnel Gallery, 46 Chambers St, Newburgh, NY 12550, USAInspired by the grand salon shows curated by the late great Richard Timperio, at Sideshow Gallery in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, this exhibition intends to bring together works of differing styles and genres that share a level of quality and commitment by each individual artist.